Saturday, April 1, 2017

The Challenge of Adversity ..


Does it seem like every challenge that you experience becomes a big headache in your life?  No matter what adverse events you are currently experiencing, there is a purpose behind each one.  For most of us, it is difficult to imagine losing a child and finding out that a parent has cancer is a blessing.  I now know this from personal experience.  After experiencing an adverse event, you will be at a crossroads. You can either view it as a blessing or allow your past to control the rest of your life. 
 
Over the past months, I have been experiencing adversity but I am finding that these situations have become blessings.  I have been learning to surround myself with positive people.  I am being selective with the people that I surround myself with.  Indirectly they affect your mood and your outlook.  When you are in an emotional state of mind, it is important to surround yourself with people who are supportive and encouraging.  Human beings conform to those around them.  Conformity is the change of behavior caused by another person or group of people.  When experiencing adversity, it is crucial in your development to surround yourself with people who are accepting of your flaws, mistakes, and imperfections.  Overcoming adversity can be a challenge; when you have a supportive team helping you move forward and it is much easier to accept yourself.
 
I write! And I write a lot!  There is something peaceful in writing down your thoughts.  However long or short your written entries are, the process of writing down your emotions allows you to reflect.  I have found there are many benefits to writing; it allows for self-expression without judgment, helps to give feedback to my life, allows me to better understand my situation, allows me to think outside the box, and it makes me a better philosopher.  Write in a journal once a day and whatever emotions, feelings, or thoughts come to mind, jot it down.  Years from now you will be able to reflect and see just how much you have developed.  You never know; you could be onto a great novel like the one I am writing!
 
I love nature.  Nature is very therapeutic!  Living in a society where we are constantly moving around, we are often disconnected from the beauty of nature.  Whether it be hiking on a forest trail, riding my mare, or gardening at home, I love taking the time to connect myself with nature as it is a healing process.  There have been more that 100 research studies that have shown that outdoor activities reduce the level of stress.  With adversity comes stress and frustration.  Taking the time to be outside is a way for you to nurture your being and allow yourself a deep breath and relax.  The sun and the air give you a sense of calmness during the face of adversity. 
 
I am learning to start investing in myself.  There is not greater investment than the investment within your own personal development.  Experiencing adversity is a great excuse for people to not take charge of their lives.  I am experiencing the adversity of finishing a college education, a legal confrontation with not a nice person, building my little farm into a productive income, my employment, and planning for my daughter's wedding.  We all face adversity in some way.  What makes one individual succeed and another not is how they handle their challenges.  Many of us allows challenges to defeat us.  What we need to focus on is developing into a stronger and wiser individual because of the challenges.  There is no better way to do so than developing your internal world.
 
Adversity is a blessing in disguise.  I may not think so at this moment, but it will eventually make me stronger and wise because ..
 
I ride the dark horse ..




Copyright © 2017 by CandaLee Parker, IRideTheDarkHorse.com

All rights reserved. This blog or any portion thereof may not be reproduced, shared, posted or used in any manner whatsoever without the express written permission of the author/publisher except for the use of brief quotations in a book review or similar cited with author's name and copyright.


 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment