Saturday, December 4, 2021

Catch the Wave

 

Many people are afraid of having a snap point and hitting rock bottom. My husband and I hit "rock bottom" about 6 years ago. Everything we had worked hard for and thought we were becoming was gone! Medical bills, medical tests, doctors, doctors, doctors, me working two employments (making less than I ever have made in one employment), and Thom without work and struggling to receive the benefits that he had dutifully paid for years, was the anchor. Today, I am still the sole survivor as Thom has had medical setbacks once again. I had a stalker and family members who intentionally made my emotional life chaotic and filled with hurt. It has taken me longer than wanted in my educational goals. In some ways, I feel that we are still at rock bottom but not as deep as we once were.
That’s understandable. As human beings, our natural instinct is to protect ourselves from harm and keep ourselves safe. But staying in my comfort zone and avoiding difficult things only leads to long-term pain. Hitting rock bottom is hard. It’s confronting and it can be deeply unsettling.
But most people who hit rock bottom end up being grateful for the experience (as unpleasant as it was), because it was the catalyst, they needed for them to turn their life around and create something better than what they had before. I have learned that hitting my rock bottom and having my snap point gave me:
A strong reason to change, which will lead to long-term results that gave me clarity on what has led me to the situation I am currently in; a reality check, which helps me see where I really am and what I need to change, clarity on what I want, clarity on why I want these things, an opportunity to create the kind of life and body I really want; a reason to keep going when motivation is low or non-existent, patience to keep putting in the work required, even if I don't feel I am making progress, a commitment to the process, whatever it may involve a resilience that I previously didn’t have, a willingness to take a risk that I previously wouldn’t take, more peace about losing weight because you’re no longer driven by a deadline hope (even though my birthday next year is my final goal), because the only way from here is up.
We understand the power of a snap point and how hitting rock bottom can be what I need to make long-lasting change to my personal goals and body shape (a martial arts 20-minute workout on its way). Those who are most successful in their transformation journeys are those who have experienced the lowest of the lows. While hitting a snap point can be confronting, we know that a real, true transformation is just around the corner.
For me, I have built a battleship that dutifully and diligently plows through the waves of storm and reaches calm waters.

No comments:

Post a Comment